Sunday, September 27, 2015

Musical Obsession

Assalamualaikum wr. wb.

I am a big fan of musicals, and to watch The Lion King musical on Broadway is one of my biggest dreams. When I lived in Japan, I almost watched the show in Tokyo but I changed my mind, mostly because the show would be in Japanese and I didn't think I would like it as much as if it was in English. A few months ago, Beauty and The Beast performed in Jakarta, but I didn't watch it since I didn't have enough saving for that. And lastly, The Sound of Music will have a show in Jakarta from October 6th to 18th, but I haven't had my salary yet so I don't think I will be able to watch it either. So, you can say that I'm an avid YouTube musical fan, haha.

Anyway, my most recent musical crush was Wicked, and Aladdin being the second to last. But yesterday, as I was lurking on YouTube (just like any other Saturday nights) I found this very promising new musical on Broadway called "Finding Neverland". You might recall a movie with the same title which starred Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet back in 2004. This musical was based on that very Oscar-winning movie. The story is basically about how PeterPan was made; with J. M. Barrie (PeterPan's author) as the main character. The cast for J. M. Barrie in the original Broadway musical is played by Matthew Morrison, and yes he is Will Schuester from Glee. Here's a song that brought me to tears the first time I watched it which made me really hope that I can watch this musical one day:


When did life become so complicated?
Years of too much thought and time I wasted
And in each line upon my face
Is proof I fought and lived another day 
When did life become this place of madness?
Drifting on an empty sea of waves of sadness
I make believe I'm in control
And dream it wasn't all my fault 
When your feet don't touch the ground
And your world's turned upside down
Here it's safe, in this place
Above the clouds 
When your feet don't touch the earth
You can't feel the things that hurt
And you're free, there's no need
To come down

The song was so beautiful! And you can find out more magical pixie-dusted stuffs in the official site here. My personal opinion on this musical is that probably it would be my next favorite after Lion King, since I love the thought of how we always have to believe that dreams will come true and how we never really have to grow up.

Wassalamualaikum wr. wb.

No comments:

Post a Comment